Prepare for Rhinoplasty Surgery by Following Pre-operative Instructions
As the central feature on the face, the nose has a significant effect on one’s overall appearance. A nose that appears too small or large, one that has bumps or other flaws present, or one that is too wide or narrow can throw off the entire proportions of the face and negatively affect one’s appearance. Dr. Geoffrey Keyes offers his patients rhinoplasty surgery to improve the size, shape, and overall appearance of the nose. By making just the minimal necessary adjustments, Dr. Keyes can significantly improve the appearance of the nose and the proportions and symmetry of the face, giving patients the ideal appearance they’ve always desired. In order to help ensure the success of surgery, Dr. Keyes provides his Los Angeles patients with pre-operative rhinoplasty instructions that should be carefully followed.
Prior to scheduling surgery, Dr. Keyes will examine the patient and go over their medical history to ensure that he or she is a good candidate for this procedure. If the patient is a suitable candidate, surgery will be scheduled and patients will be asked to prepare for this procedure in the weeks leading up to surgery. While explicit pre-operative instructions will be provided, patients will likely be asked to adhere to the following guidelines:
- Two weeks prior to surgery: Dr. Keyes may ask that patients stop the use of certain medications. Any medications that are used on a regular basis should be discussed with Dr. Keyes. It is especially important to refrain from using any over-the-counter medication that contains aspirin, which can thin the blood. Nicotine products should also be avoided at this point and for the duration of the patient’s recovery from surgery. In order to boost the immune system and prepare the body for healing, patients may want to begin taking Vitamin C up to three times a day.
- One week prior to surgery: In addition to refraining from nicotine, we do advise patients to avoid alcoholic beverages beginning a week prior to surgery. If it has not been done already, now is a good time for patients to decide who will be available to drive them to and from surgery and stay with them during the first 24 hours of recovery.
- The night before surgery: The night before surgery it is important to refrain from consuming any food or beverages after midnight. Failure to follow this instruction could result in a cancellation of the rhinoplasty procedure. Patients should shower before going to bed and thoroughly wash the body using an anti-bacterial soap.
- The day of surgery: On the day of surgery, patients should arrive at the requested time. Patients should arrive clean and free of any make-up, lotions, perfumes, or other cosmetic products, including hair gel or hair spray, as well as jewelry and other accessories. The patient should also be dressed comfortably in loose clothes that do not need to be pulled over the head.
Schedule a Consultation
Prior to rhinoplasty surgery, Dr. Geoffrey Keyes consults each patient to discuss their specific goals, create a treatment plan, and go over the details of surgery (including pre- and post-operative care instructions). If you are interested in a rhinoplasty procedure, schedule a consultation with Dr. Keyes at your earliest convenience to learn more and ask any questions you may have. We look forward to hearing from you!
* All information subject to change. Images may contain models. Individual results are not guaranteed and may vary.